Monday, July 28, 2008

Easton's Story

Okay, so I have dropped out of the blogging world for a minute, but I am back. I wanted to blog the story of Easton's birth so here we go. We checked into the hospital at 5:00am on the morning of July 11th. The hospital was completely full so the put me in the post-operating room to get me ready for my c-section. My mom had slept over to be with the kids but both she and they wanted to be at the hospital for the big arrival. The kids came and saw me in the hospital bed and were nervous and excited. They left for a minute and it was a good thing because a woman and her husband came flying into the room and she was already in labor. They set up a bed for her right next to us and pulled the paper thin curtain to separate us. Nurses came in and said that she was at an 8 and she was screaming for medicine. It was so crazy....Brandon and I wanted to get out of there before this lady had her baby. Luckily right then they rushed me off to the operating room and we later learned she had her baby 5 minutes after we left. Needless to say, the morning started out a little crazy. Then Brandon went to wait with my mom, sister and the kids while I got my spinal block and got prepped for the c-section. I hate that part when Brandon can't be with me. I want him there so bad to comfort me and hold my hand (yes, I am a baby). They gave me the spinal block, waited for a few minutes and then the doctor told me to lift my leg. I did and then he said "you aren't supposed to be able to do that". After this went on for a while they told me that if the medicine didn't start working in the next minute or two that I would have to be put "under" and not be awake for the delivery of my baby. That really upset me and they still hadn't let Brandon back in the room. I was panicking and just praying so hard and all of the sudden I felt this huge weight all over and I knew the medicine had kicked in. The doctor couldn't believe it and said he had never had it take so long. I was so grateful that it worked and knew it was an answer to prayer. Finally Brandon came in and it was time to start. I had my baby at a very small hospital and if you want, family can watch the c-section through a small window. I had already discussed this with the doctors and nurses and they said it would be okay for my kids to watch. We had prepped them for this and they really wanted to see the baby come. To be honest, I would much rather let them see me have a baby this way then the other way babies come. Anyway, they didn't have a great view because the doctors are hovering over you the whole time but they did get to see when the baby came out. My mom, sister, father-in-law, Parker and Kamree were all watching. Right when they pulled the baby out, Kamree asked my sister "why does the baby have a snake hanging from his bum?" (yes honey, mom delivered you a brother and a pet snake, how nice). Parker kept saying they were taking so long and thought that maybe we were having twins. Everyone kept saying how cute the baby was and Kamree said "he's just a normal baby". When Easton was out, I knew he must be a big baby because the doctors were guessing 9 pounds. They were close enough since he was 8lb 14oz and 22 inches long, by far my biggest baby (thank heavens for a c-section). After the c-section, I was put in a nice big room because 12 patients had checked out since the morning. I had to stay in the hospital for 4 days. I feel so blessed because my kids were so taken care of during this time by my husband and family. They went to Build-a-Bear, Kangaroo Zoo, an Owlz baseball game and many other fun things. They also came to visit everyday "just like I promised I would" Parker reminded me. Having a baby is such an amazing and spiritual experience I get choked up even thinking about it now. It's not glamorous at times but I am so grateful for the opportunity and realize it is such a blessing. We love our little Easton so much and are so happy he is with us. He has been such a good baby and has a sweet spirit about him. The kids are so happy to have him too and he gets a lot of love....sometimes too much. We are adjusting and just enjoying having this sweet little boy in our lives!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats Steph! I'm so glad that you didn't have to be put under for the delivery. How is it with 3? hope your adjusting well and maybe once everything is settled down a bit I can stop by for a visit. Talk to you soon:)

Katie said...

What an exciting time. How fun for your kids to be a part of the whole delivery. I can't believe you now have 3! Congratulations!

A said...

We love baby Easton to and are so happy everything went well with his arrival and that you are doing well too. I feel like he is a month old already... it feels like time has passed so quick. He is such a sweetie . I hope we can see him more often :)

Jill said...

Oh, how cute is he? I'm so glad that things went well and that you are both doing good. I can't wait to see him again and hold him this time since I'm getting over my cold! I love you sis.